Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Review: Summer Sun Protection you CAN'T feel! (Finally!)



Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Water-Light daily face sunscreen (SPF 60), oh how you have revolutionized sun care for me! Being pretty pale I tend to burn if left out in the sun too long; especially on my cheeks, forehead and shoulders. I also hate the continuous sticky, greasy feeling of most sunscreen; in fact all sunscreen up until this point.


Having a consistentcy slightly thicker than water, it needs to be applied quickly; however the nozzle tip makes squeezing out the product fairly simple. Although still slightly greasy on initial application (I put it on over top of my day-time acne treatment) it soaks in quickly and the feeling completely vanishes when I apply my primer. At SPF 60, with both UVA and UVB protection, I know that I'm getting the complete coverage I need during the hot Canadian summers (I haven't burned yet!). On top of this I get no white cast, no pilling or flaking beneath my make-up and its in a really travel friendly size.

Some cons however, are that the packaging is a hard plastic tube so pressing the sides to release the product is slightly difficult, and most likely will make it difficult to get the product out once it gets low. There is also no way to tell how much you have left as the bottle is opaque. In addition, make sure you don't get it in your eyes! This realllllly stings, so be slightly careful around your eye area when applying.

Now it also says on the packaging that its waterproof, which would be great if it didn't go on to say (on the back of the bottle) "Reapply... after swimming, towel drying, perspiring heavily or washing." Just for that I'm dropping the rating a point. *Shakes finger at Neutrogena for false advertising.


On the plus side the tube should be able to take some rough treatment and in the bottom of the container is a metal ball to break up sunscreen clumps if they happen to occur. I've also had no reaction from my skin in terms of dryness, oil production nor acne, which in my book is always a huge plus.

Something to note is that this is a chemical sunscreen and so if you are allergic to them this isn't going to work for you. In addition to this, this product contains Helioplex which is a broad range sun protection by combining avobenzone and oxybenzone together to decrease the breakdown of the sunscreen's effectiveness over time. If your interested in learning more you can check here or Here. for more details.

Active Ingredients: Homosalate (10%), Octocrylene (7.5%), Oxybenzone (5%), Octisalate (5%), and Avobenzone (3%)

Rating: 8/10 Overall I'd have to say worth the money for the product (even if you do have to reapply!) At under $20 Canadian you can bet I'll be purchasing this again when it runs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment