Sunday, July 18, 2010

Mac Rodarte Collection

Normally, I'm not one to talk about unpleasant things in inappropriate places; my point being I'm not going to go on about experiments actually tested on animals during animal testing despite this blog (and my personal choice) not featuring any such products. I don't list details because it's difficult to be bombarded with such things constantly, especially when you are trying in which ever way you are, to make a difference- or even if you've made the choice to ignore the matter. This is beauty blog, something fun and a relaxation from everyday stresses.

However, I do feel that even with my small amount of readers that something needs to be said.

Mac's upcoming Rodarte collection is quite honestly a disturbing take on Rodarte's gallery expedition which is based on the hundreds of women raped and murdered in factory towns in Mexico without the police caring enough to do much of anything to get justice (Juarez in particular). The main model for the collection looks literally dead and the names for the items are actually taken directly from these violent crimes.

In response to the overwhelming and much deserved horrified e-mails to MAC, they had this to say-

"M•A•C Cosmetics Statement:
We understand that product names in the M•A•C Rodarte collection have offended some of our consumers and fans. This was never our intent and we are very sorry. We are listening carefully to the comments posted and are grateful to those of you who have brought your concerns to the forefront of our attention. M•A•C will give a portion of the proceeds from the M•A•C Rodarte collection to help those in need in Juarez. We are diligently investigating the best way to do this. Please be assured that we will keep you posted on the details regarding our efforts."

In my opinion if this collection was done in an effort to raise awareness about the issue, MAC should have put way more advertising into the entire thing, i.e. actually put it on the news, commercials etc. In addition to this they should have clearly stated the portions of the proceeds that are going to a specific charity BEFOREHAND. I mean really, it feels like they're doing this as an after thought to save their asses, not as a company that is supposed to care about a large group of people repressed and violated. They also should never have used the names they did- they could have had the same dead/haunted feel to the entire collection (to show the agony of the situation), but they should have been named I don't know Justice?, For Peace, Perseverance, or something similar. Heck when I first heard/saw the collection I thought it was haunted ghost house inspired and was maybe for Halloween (though the model picture still disturbed me).

Not very globally aware but I wasn't trying to be purposefully oblivious either. In fact as soon as I realized there was an issue surrounding it I went off to google and promptly started reading about it. What I found frightened and disgusted me, but I'll let you decide to look into this yourself or not.

I'd like to also say that the original Rodarte collection disturbs me as well and really should be trying to donate something to what they're making a buck off of. I guess at least Mac is attempting to do something.

My point? I just wanted to make you aware of the situation. It all seems to me to be in very poor taste and I know I won't be purchasing anything from the collection. Though I may make a donation to a charity involved with the direct issue, someone profiting from it turns my stomach. On the other side of the matter they are rasing awareness on an issue that deserves it, though I doubt that was the original point of it.

As a side note I'd really appreciate the person who's bright idea this was to be fired. Is anyone else thinking inconsiderate, greedy jerk?

Would love to hear your opinions on the matter!

MAC statement taken from British Beauty Blogger

3 comments:

  1. hi there

    good post im glad we are all getting involved in this, you can read my view here:

    http://bit.ly/baiPm6

    and the response from mac here: http://bit.ly/d30qz3

    www.perfectly-polished-nails.com

    X

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly Polished-> I'm really glad the beauty blogger community got together too. You're post is great too! Hopefully more people will become aware of the issue now. Thanks so much for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hello hebridean sprite,

    I wanted to send you an email about this but I can't find your contact details. Olivia from healing beauty wrote a beautiful petition on #rodartemac, asking for mac to give more money to the women of juarez. Will you have a look at it, and perhaps help spread the word if you like the idea? this is the link to the petition.
    http://bit.ly/macrodartepetition

    thank you so much xx
    liloo/@tsunimee

    ReplyDelete