Friday, April 8, 2011

Batiste Dry Shampoo in Blush~ Review

Dry Hair Shampoo by Batiste at ShopStyle

I've been using this dry shampoo from Batiste in the smell Blush for about 6 months now. If you're new to dry shampoo (like I was) the point is that by applying a powder to your roots the oils are absorbed by the product instantly making your hair look and feel cleaner. It also adds a great amount of volume.

Batiste blush has been a life saver for me- especially during high stress times where I've got finals, papers and classes to attend as well as other necessary things like breathing and eating. Sometimes I get the choice between a shower or an extra half-hour of sleep and sleep takes precedence. This doesn't happen often, but when it does I certainly don't want anyone to know! And so that I don't look gundgy and dirty the next morning, me with this little aerosol can, will be seen spraying my hair with a white powder. Two minutes later though my hair doesn't look freshly washed, it at least doesn't resemble the stringy-greasy mass it was before. (Awful I know, I mean I'm sure it could be worse and I'm exaggerating a bit but I'm sure you all get the idea).

I apply this liberally spraying with most focus on the roots and particular patches of hair that look worse than others. I wait a few seconds then I massage my fingers in the whiter area onto my skull before amongst my hair. Then I brush the white cast away throughout my hair.

Some cons about this though is that the powder tends to really inhabit the air when you spray, which if you spray too much at once you're going to inhale it which is uncomfortable and gag-worthy as you search for fresh air that you can't find. So spraying only a bit at a time is necessary! Also make sure you like the smell you purchase as it's going to stick around most of the day. The Blush smell is strong! Blush is sweet and slightly floral with a very powdery undertone. It's not bad, I certainly don't mind it but it is potent so ensure you choose a smell you can live with! Also, the nozzle needs to be brushed clean every once in awhile otherwise it will jam up (At least according to other sources, I've always kept it fairly clean so I've never had this issue).
On another note, you will have a white residue on your scalp which you'll want to wash off when you get the chance. This is really only a one day limited solution, you're going to want to shampoo for real that night but for a quick fix this works well.

One thing to keep in mind is that it is an aerosol can- that means that the contents are under pressure and should not be heated! Just like with hairspray be careful with the can!

Some of the pros though are that this stuff does make a considerable difference. I used it in Tanzania with great results and during school. Because I brush it through my hair the white powder isn't noticeable, though girls with dark hair will want to invest in one of the coloured powder versions for different hair shades.

Some reviews I've read have complained that this has only lasted them a week. Honestly, even if they're using it everyday for the volume it provides, I can't see it running out that quickly! Like I mentioned earlier I've had my single can for 6 months. Though, that being said I only use it when I have to. I find if you're only using it in emergencies you're not going to have to repurchase that often. I got mine at a Sally's Beauty store for around $10 CND so it wasn't too expensive either. Yay!

Overall, I'm glad I have my Batiste Dry Shampoo for days where everything if going on at once! Though it would be nice if I actually had the time to take that shower, sometimes these things just don't happen and thats when this steps up and does the job. It's not as good as a shower, and wearing a perfume isn't going to be possible when you're wearing it due to its own overwhelming fragrance, but for a last minute fix, I do reach for it!

Sprite Rating: 7/10- The fragrance, the white cast that needs to be worked in, and the residue are all slight downsides to this but this is like a band-aid on the situation, not the solution so I don't mind having to use this. For the price it does an awesome job, well enough so I don't feel self-conscious all day about not being able to fit in a shower. If you've got a super busy schedule that just doesn't allow your hair cleaning schedule to be perfect, this is worth a try for sure.

Would I buy this again? Yes I probably would, though I'd be highly tempted to try and find a less potent smelling one or at least one less sweet. Maybe citrus if they have it?

4 comments:

  1. Suave actually just came out with a dry shampoo and it is citrus scented. I just bought it because I ran out of my Batiste, but I've only used it once so it's hard to say how it is--but I think I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your comment C! Dry shampoos are becoming more and more popular so it's interesting to see which brands are taking notice. Unfortunately, I'm fairly sure Suave is an animal testing brand so I won't be reviewing their Dry shampoo, but I'm glad it's working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately Batiste also test on animals now - they were bought out by Church & Dwight, a company which tests on animals :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crap, thanks for the information. There are so many of them out there now.

      Delete